Thursday, May 19, 2011

My last day in Bhairahawa

Today was my last day at LEI.  And, as excited as I am to meet up with Rene' tomorrow in Kathmandu, there was some sadness today.  Sadness because I had to say goodbye, or, until next time, to a group of people I now consider colleagues that have shown me SO much kindness and gratitude during my stay.  Following surgery and seeing patients in clinic today the staff held for me a going away gathering, which was held in Dr. Byanju's office.  Dr. Byanju, as well as the director of LEI, thanked me for the time I had volunteered at LEI, and welcomed me to return.  I was given gifts of a Buddhist scarf, a statue of Lord Buddha, and a lei (I suspect they have a different word for it, but not sure what it is).  The director also placed a red Tilak on my forehead.  A number of pictures were taken, some of which are below.
 
On the left is the director of LEI, who also started the original hospital 25+ years ago.  On the right is Dr. Byanju, my gracious host for the past 2 weeks.


I was also graced with a Nepali cap, making me feel like a true local.
In the center of the picture and to the left are the ophthalmology residents, numbering nine in total.  Most of them will go on to fellowhip training after completion of residency.  I am confident that each of them will become successful ophthalmologists in part due to the excellent instructors/attending physicans under whom they are training, as well as the wide variety of pathologic conditions to which they have exposure to be able to hone their clinical and surgical skills.

I am blessed to have been able to spend time here.  It is my hope that I have given as much as I will be taking away from my experience.  I hope to be able to return some day, and to continue to help advance LEI's provision of vitreoretinal care.

Thanks to all that have followed this blog, and, namaste'.

2 comments:

  1. I have no doubt you gave more than you are taking away Denny. Although, having said that, I also know you squeeze every bit of learning and awareness out as possible. Even this would have people feel "known" and gives back to them.

    Take care my friend. Hi to Rene' and may your days together bring about new discoveries within each other. I look forward to talking when you get back. Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kellie.
    Will have my 1st ever ride in a rickshaw in an hr or so. To the airport no less. 45 minute ride I'm told. Hope he's well rested, and well fed. Looking forward to seeing Rene' in a few hours!
    Denny

    ReplyDelete